Monday, April 1, 2013

Thoughts as I prepare to leave Germany

After 3 wks in Eastern Germany and being exposed to a history of war, violence, and tyranny, I see how pride and arrogance is always at the center. Unless one's thoughts and actions are in line with God's Word, the result inevitably leads to pain and destruction. I'm reminded of the well known verse, "There is a way that appears to be right, but in the end leads to death" (Pv 14:11)
So many decide what God thinks and act upon it, yet their actions are in direct contrast to God's Word...idol worship of Hittites, Assyrians, Roman Empire, Catholic Church sending out the Crusaders, later aligning with Hitler and killing those who simply want to read God's Word for themselves. Kings and other rulers who begin to think of themselves above others, placing themselves as gods in their own minds.
All this makes me feel the importance of knowing the Word of God for myself and acting upon it. It gives me pause to daily evaluate my own thoughts and actions. I know I am nothing. God is everything.
It renews my drive to share and help others learn for themselves what it says.
"...we cannot speak rightly of either God or the world without speaking of Jesus Christ. All concepts of reality that ignore Jesus Christ are abstractions."
(Dietrich Bonhoeffer in Ethics, quoted by Eric Metaxis in Bonhoeffer, p 469)
"For Bonhoeffer, there is no reality apart from God and no goodness apart from him." (Eric Metaxis, Bonhoeffer, p 468)
Only by serving Him can I possibly be happy and have a positive influence. I pray for His guidance. I pray I will know His Word better and better.




No comments:

Post a Comment